Is content, and conversations about content driving the next social networking wave? By now, we do know that pure social networking sites MySpace, Orkut, ibibo, Fropper, Facebook, etc, generate content [profiles, pictures, audio, video, blogs, events] and conversations [guestbook, comments, discussions, personal messaging]. These were the first wave social networking sites.
If you were to look at these sites clinically, what do they do well?
They took an existing set of tools, and artfully combined these tools into a thriving, throbbing, teeming social maze
- Member Profiles or Member Home Pages [remember Geocities started it?]
- Discussion boards [bulletin boards turned into network hubs]
- Events [offline activities that reinforce socialization], blogs [bring out the writer in you], guestbook [attach it to a profile and let the social cravings loose], ability to add friends, audio/ video uploads [provides a context for conversation]
- They made Member Profiles central to the site with all the content revolving around it
- Members generated the contexts and conversations through their interests and activities on the site
The first wave of social networking sites taught us that we as race crave for social contact. We revel in it.
But there is a newer model that is at work in social networking.
- One where content and the context is central
- This content is either user generated or publisher generated [blogs, reviews, videos]
- Conversations happen around this established content and context
- The folks holding the conversations and responsible for the content are all linked through their public Member Profiles
- At the Member Profile level, social networking kicks in with guestbooks, buddies, etc
Check out the following sites which do this well.
- http://ifood.tv – recipe sharing underpinned by social networking
- http://openbottles.com – wine reviews underpinned by social networking
- http://mytrybe.com/ – review sites in various categories, similar to social bookmarking, but with social networking underneath
- http://godkut.com/ – faith-based social networking
There is another variation to this, it’s what I’d call profession/hobby/ kindred-based social networking.
- http://adholes.com for advertising professionals
- http://biggerpockets.com/ for real estate professionals
- http://hunterspaces.com/ offers social networking for hunters
- http://layoffspace.com/ for folks who have been laid off
- http://gottabet.com/ social networking for betting junkies
Have any ideas of where social networking is headed? Come, share it with us.
May your garden teem and throng with customers
Pigtail Pundits essences the expertise from 700+ projects in 22 years on the web. Explore digital marketing services that hypnotically draw customers to your business.
Entrust your digital marketing to experts today.
We specialise in Pay-per-click advertising, Social Media Outreach, Search Engine Optimisation, Conversion Rate Optimisation, Premium websites that convert, Content Marketing that works, and Awesome Training for your In-house Teams on digital marketing.
Come, share this article and show us some comment love.
If you found this article to be interesting, do share it with your friends. Wish to comment on it with your own observations? Go right ahead and use the comment box.
The Pigtail Pundits Network
- Web Audits for Leads
- School Marketing CMS
- Conversion Optimisation Hacks
- Websites built on ProcessWire
- Online Marketing that Yields Results
- Content Management System
- Content Marketing
- Conversion Optimization
- Information Architechture
- Social Media
- Web Design
- 10 Elements You Ought to Split Test on Your Website
- 6 Ways Social Media and SEO Work Together
- 6 proven ways to increase your website’s conversion rate
- 5 SEO Tactics I wouldn’t use in 2019 for very good reasons.
- What is conversion optimization and why is it so important?
- How to hire a StoryBrand Copywriter to Sell on your Website and Landing Page.